Friday, March 19

Transition

















This month has brought quite a few firsts for our little boy.  David has been sleeping in his converted crib for almost 6 months now.  He has already learned all the ins and outs of sleeping with a bed rail, so we decided to go ahead and make the move to a twin bed.  Luckily, my Mom had one we could borrow so we don't have to buy furniture for such a small room.  It actually has been really fun.  He absolutely loves and voluntarily sits in it throughout the day while he looks at his books.  Going down for the night has become a really sweet and special time because I can crawl into bed with him to sing and scratch his belly.  He loves for me to sing Amazing Grace and now our new favorite is Elizabeth Mitchell's Whose My Pretty Baby.  

We also took our first trip to the dentist.  I really was dreading this appointment for a number of reasons: 1) David's temperament makes new situations very difficult for him.  2) Pacifiers.  Enough said.  I really tried to build the dentist up quite a bit.  We bought the Berenstein Bears book about going to the dentist and have been reading it quite a bit around here.  We also talked about how it would be a special day for just him and Mommy.  I promised to take him to his favorite lunch place, Gilchrist, and also to get a small treat at the toy store.  He did really well.  I could tell he was insecure and needed me to sit right up next to him, but he never cried and was able to comply with all that was asked of him.  He got a Thomas the Train sticker, a Diego toothbrush, a bouncy ball, and was able to put his hand print on a ceiling tile documenting his first visit.  P.S. They have flat screen TVs on the CEILING so your little one can watch Toy Story while getting his teeth cleaned.  Fancy Schmancy.  His most constant obsession these days are fire trucks.  So, he got what he calls a "little baby fire cruck" as his post dentist appointment treat.  It actually turned out to be a fun day.

Pacifiers.  I mean this boy has a mad love affair with his pacis.  It is my own fault because I am not one of those Moms who is bothered by the pacifier.  I love that he can soothe himself when needed and I really think it has helped him to love his down time in his bed.  A few months ago I could tell his front teeth were moving and just knew the dentist was going to say it was time to get up these precious little reminders of our boy's babyhood.  And he did.  He was very clear it was time for them to go. :(  I decided to try nap time without them to see what I was really up against.  After some discussion,  he said he wanted to box them up and have the mail man take his pacis to the dentist office.  So we collected them all, had a few last sucks, and then they were gone.  Pretty painless. Well, he was clearly confused.  We got in bed and he then asked for his pacis.  I gently reminded him of what Dr. Johnson said and that now we have a big boy bed, so it was time to sleep without pacis.  I told him they would be gone forever.  He said, Oh no!  I love my pacis.  So we talked it out a bit more and he seemed okay snuggled up in his bed with all his favorites: 2 blankets, 2 stuffed animals, Lightning McQueen flashlight, and 2 books.  It took him a good while to go down, but I was pleased that no tears were shed. He continues to mention them from time to time, but then remembers the mail man took them.  I guess we are just going to keep going down this road and see how it goes!

Baby Boy is growing up.  Sad.

P.S.S.  I got him that pink polo shirt as a means of easing me into the big boy clothing.  I really thought we would delay polo shirts for another year, but with a new baby around my clothing budget is spread pretty thin.  Old Navy polo shirts for 7 bucks each--could not turn it down.  So, this morning I pull out his new pink shirt.  He says, "No, Mommy.  That Evie's clothes."  I then tried to explain how boys wear pastels in the Spring and Summer.  He says, "No, Mommy.  I like red."


post signature

2 comments:

Whitney said...

He is precious! Thank you for sharing with us.

Abby Euten said...

He is TOO funny!! And, this post is TOO cute:)